Last week, Commissioner Justin Rodriguez joined Judge Nelson Wolff and several community partners to announce a joint effort to promote gun violence prevention in Bexar County.
The partnership is supported by Bexar County Commissioners Court, Sheriff Javier Salazar, District Attorney Joe Gonzales, Judge Peter Sakai, University Health System, VIA Metropolitan Transit Authority, San Antonio Moms Demand Action, and BeSmart for Kids.
The partnership includes the following initiatives:
- VIA Bus promotional advertisements
- The purchase & distribution of 14,000 gun locks
- Stronger implementation of the prohibition on gun ownership for those convicted of domestic violence
- Enhanced shooter prevention and response training
- Prohibition of gun shows at the Freeman Coliseum
- Gun storage program to allow residents to temporary store guns while they are traveling or need a secure place to store them away from their homes
- Voluntary gun disposition program (firstname.lastname@example.org)