Law Enforcement Career Exploring provides educational training programs for young adults on the purposes, mission, and objectives of law enforcement. The program provides career orientation experiences, leadership opportunities, and community service activities.
The primary goals of the program are to help young adults choose a career path within law enforcement and to challenge them to become responsible citizens of their communities and the nation.
Mission of Explorer Program
To educate and involve youth in Bexar County operations, to interest them in possible Law Enforcement careers (Sheriff's Deputy, Detention Officer, Sheriff's Dispatcher, Prosecuting Attorney, Crime Lab Technician, etc.) and to build mutual understanding.
Through involvement, the Explorer program establishes an awareness of the complexities of Law Enforcement service. While Law Enforcement personnel remain the key to success, other reliable citizens can also become involved in the Exploring program.
- Leadership skills
- New interpersonal skills
- Criminal and Traffic laws
- Patrol procedures
- Traffic control
- Accident investigation
- Criminal investigation
- Crime scene investigation
- Arrest/Search procedures
- Domestic disturbance
- Bomb Threat Response
- Other related fields
- Proper Equipment usage
- Events and Competitions
- Community Service
- Improved self-confidence
- Leadership experience
- "Hands-on" career experiences
- College and Career preparation
- Team building
To qualify for the Explorer program, you must:
- Be between the ages of 14 - before turning 21 (14 years old is acceptable only if you have graduated from eighth grade).
- Have a good moral character.
- Not have a record higher than Class C.
- Pass a background check.
- Be able to attend weekly Explorer meetings.
- Be willing to volunteer your time to attend Explorer functions.
- Be willing to commit to The Explorer Code and exemplify the professional image of The Bexar County Sheriff's Office.
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining the Bexar County Sheriff's Office Explorer Program contact: SCORE@bexar.org