Bexar County Courthouse Security
What to expect when visiting the Justice Center and Court House
Visitors who enter the Building will go through a security screening procedure. In order to expedite this process, all visitors will be asked to:
- Form a single line at the screening station.
- Empty out pockets and place all contents in the containers.
- Place purses, bags briefcases, backpacks and parcels on the table for inspection. (Note: Have the listed items unzipped / opened and ready for a thorough inspection.)
- Walk through the metal detector one visitor at a time as directed.
- If the metal detector sets off an alarm, the deputy will perform another scan of the visitor. However, this time the deputy will use a hand wand. (All visitors entering the building may be subject to a cursory pat-search, if we can't determine what is making the alarm go off. )
- Upon completion of the screening process, the visitor will retrieve all of their personal possessions and proceed to their desire office.
Items prohibited in the building include but are not limited to*:
- Fire Arms, Batons, Brass Knuckles, Stun Guns
- Knives, Pocket Knives, Razor Blades, Scissors, Carpet or Box Cutters, Razors of any kind
- Edged Weapons, Letter Openers,
- Powders, Liquids, Aerosol Spray Cans, Markers
- Pepper Spray, Mace
- Bullets, Key Chain Bullets, Laser Pointers, Measuring Tapes
- Illegal Narcotics
- Glass Items
- Tools, Nails or Screws Etc.
- Cameras, Radios, Tape Recorders
- Rolled Coins, Handcuff Keys, Pad Locks, Heavy Chain Items
- Heavy Metallic Belts, Knitting Needles, Corkscrews
- Wallet Chains, Manicure Kits,
- Hair picks, Rat tails combs
- Any other items that Court Services Division personnel feels will compromise the security or integrity of courthouse and courtroom proceedings
*Contraband consists of those items which an individual may legally possess, but are prohibited from being brought into a courthouse. If a visitor is found in possession of items, which constitutes a criminal violation, the items shall be seized and the visitor may be taken into custody or issued a criminal citation, depending on the circumstances.
The Sheriff's Office may ask you to take an item back to your vehicle or throw away an item. The Sheriff's office will NOT safeguard the item for you. If in doubt about a specific item, please leave it at home or in your vehicle
Texas Peace Officers, Federal Agents, Assistant District Attorneys and Attorneys with a Bexar County Clearance on Official Business (work-related) are not required to go through the screening process. However, official credentials and the purpose for their visit is required before admittance into the building.
Additional Court Rules:
- Must wear proper dress attire.
- All cell phones and pagers on silent.
- No smoking, vaping, or e-cigarettes.
- No recording or taking pictures of any kind in the courtroom.
- The media will not be allowed to record any court proceedings inside the courtroom, unless the court gives prior approval.
- No food or drinks of any kind inside the courtroom.
- No talking while the court is in session unless you are speaking to the judge.
- The use of caps, hats, and bandanas are prohibited in the courtroom. Caps worn backwards are not allowed in the building's hallway.
- No sagging of any kind allowed in the building or courtroom.
- No electronic devices will be used in the courtroom unless the device is required for the court proceeding.
- If special accommodations are needed, please notify the bailiff prior to the start of court.
- Disturbances of any kind while court is in session or in the facility may result in a citation being issued, arrest, and or contempt of court.