VA Compensation & Pension

Claims Representation and Counseling

Provided by: Bexar County Veterans Service Office

The Bexar County Veterans Service Office assists Veterans in filing VA disability claims, assists Veterans with the VA appeals processes, as well as dependents with survivor benefits.

Service-Connected Disability Compensation

Service-connected Disability Compensation is a monetary benefit paid to Veterans who are disabled by an injury or illness that was incurred or aggravated during active military service. Disability compensation varies with the degree of disability and the number of dependents, and is paid monthly. Veterans with certain severe disabilities may be eligible for additional special monthly compensation. Contact your Bexar County Veterans Service Office to schedule an appointment for claims counseling: 210-335-6756

Non Service-Connected Pension

Provided by: Bexar County Veterans Service Office

Non Service-connected Pension is a monthly benefit paid to wartime Veterans, 65 years or older, who have limited or no income. Wartime Veterans younger than age 65 who are permanently and totally disabled may also be eligible.

VA Appeals Assistance

Provided by: Bexar County Veterans Service Office

You have the right to appeal VA decisions. The Bexar County Veterans Service Office can help Veterans with the appeals process.

Benefits for Spouses & Dependents

Surviving Spouse Benefits - Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

Learn More at: U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs: Dependency and Indemnity Compensation

VA may provide a monthly benefit to the surviving spouse and some parents of a service member or veteran whose death was service-related. Contact the Bexar County Service Office to schedule an appointment for assistance with filling out all necessary paperwork. 210-335-6775

Surviving Spouse Pension

Learn more at: U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs: Survivors Pension

VA provides pensions to low-income surviving spouses and unmarried children of deceased Veterans with wartime service. The pension provides a monthly payment to bring an eligible person’s income to a level established by law. The Bexar County Veterans Service Office can assist with the application.  Contact us 210-335-6775 to schedule an appointment.

Other VSO Assistance

The Bexar County Veterans Service Office also provides assistance with any of the following:

Medals, Awards and Decorations

Provided by: National Archives: Medal Awards and Decorations

Requests for the issuance or replacement of military service medals, decorations, and awards should be directed to the specific branch of the military in which the veteran served. Medals awarded while in active service are issued by the individual military branch if requested by Veterans or their next of kin.

Discharge Upgrades

Provided by: National Archives: Boards for Correction of Military Records / Discharge Upgrades

Each of the military branches maintains a discharge review board with authority to change, correct, or modify discharges or dismissals not issued by a sentence of general court-martial. The board has no authority to address medical discharges.

Military Record Corrections

Provided by: National Archives: Record Corrections

The secretary of a military department, acting through a Board for Correction of Military Records, has authority to change any military record when necessary to correct an error or remove an injustice. A correction board may consider applications for correction of a military record, including a review of a discharge issued by court-martial.