The Division Chief coordinates the overall operations for the Accounting Division. The Accounting Division consists of the accounting and reporting functions for the Auditor's Office that includes the following departments:
- Financial Accounting/Reporting
- Accounts Payable
- Grant Accounting
This department's goals are to:
- provide timely interim and annual financial reporting for Bexar County
- accurately estimate revenues
- identify and correct problems related to collections of revenue in the various fee offices which collect funds for the benefit of the County
The department is responsible for:
- general ledger accounting of transactions for the County, the County's Community Supervision and Corrections Department, and various entities under the County's Juvenile Board
- bank reconciliations for the bank accounts maintained by the same entities
- review and coordination of the calculation of the County's various effective tax rates, which is the first step in the adoption of the ad valorem tax rates levied by Commissioners Court
This department is responsible for reviewing and processing all claims submitted for payment against Bexar County, as well as the County's Community Supervision and Corrections Department and various entities under the County's Juvenile Board. The claims are then approved by Commissioners Court prior to distribution to vendors. All payments are made in compliance with budgetary control and with approvals of the appropriate operational departments.
This department manages the financial accounting and reporting of all grants received by the County from federal, state and local government sources as well as private donations. The department reviews requisitions, purchase orders and invoices for proper accountability and compliance with grant specifications before authorizing payment. The department also maintains revenue and expenditure budgets and coordinates with functional departments which administer the grants.