Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program Policy & Documents
On March 12, 2007 Commissioners Court adopted the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) Local Area Management Agreement. Under this Agreement, the County is required to established a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) program in accordance with regulations of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), 49 CFR Part 26. On June 5, 2007 Commissioners Court adopted the Texas Department of Transportation Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) regarding the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program.
Administrative Policy 8.2 - DBE Program is necessary to provide guidance to Bexar County offices and departments and the general public.
It is the policy of Bexar County to ensure that DBEs as defined in CFR 49 Part 26 have an equal opportunity to receive and participate in DOT-assisted contracts. In accordance with the MOU, it is Bexar County's policy:
- To ensure nondiscrimination in the award and administration of DOT - assisted contracts;
- To create a level playing field on which DBEs can compete fairly for DOT-assisted contracts;
- To ensure that the DBE Program is narrowly tailored in accordance with applicable law;
- To ensure that only firms that fully meet 49 CFR Part 26 eligibility standards are permitted to participate as DBEs;
- To help remove barriers to the participation of DBEs in DOT assisted contracts; and
- To assist the development of firms that can compete successfully in the market place outside the DBE Program.
- Gathers and reports statistical data and other information as required by DOT from the appropriate officials and staff.
- Reviews third party contracts and purchase requisitions for compliance with this program.
- Coordinates participation by all departments to set overall annual and project goals.
- Ensures that bid notices and requests for proposals are available to DBEs in a timely manner.
- Identifies contracts and procurements so that DBE goals are included in solicitations both race-neutral methods and contract specific goals attainment.
- Analyzes Bexar County's progress toward attainment and identifies ways to improve progress.
- Participates in pre-bid meetings and bid-openings.
- Advises the CEO\governing body on DBE matters and achievement.
- Provides DBEs with information and assistance in preparing bids, obtaining bonding and insurance.
- Plans and participates in DBE training seminars.
- Monitors the certification process for DBEs according to the criteria set by DOT as contracted with the South Central Texas Regional Certification Agency (SCTRCA) and acts as liaison to the Uniform Certification Process in Texas.
- Provides outreach to DBEs and community organizations to advise them of opportunities.
- Maintains Bexar County's updated directory on certified DBEs.
Documents and information pertaining to the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Program
Review information regarding updating DBE Certification.
View current DBE Projects in Bexar County
Link to TXDOT Local Government Projects Toolkit for DBE Projects