About Bandera County
Officially designated "The Cowboy Capital of the World" by the Texas Legislature, Bandera County is rich with the spirit of the frontier. In 1852, John James, Charels S. DeMontel, and John J. Herndon acquired land with the aim to establish a settlement on the Medina River, which would eventually become the town of Bandera.
As of the 2014 Census, the population of Bandera County was 20,892, and the population of the City of Bandera was 833. The area is well known for Medina Lake, Lost Maples State Natural Area, and many other beautiful Hill Country sites.
Bandera County is part of the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area.