Cash Bond Refunds
Once the defendant in a criminal case in which a cash bond was posted has complied with the conditions of the bond, the bond may be refunded. An order of the court authorizing the refund is required.
Please review the process below for how to properly request a cash bond refund, or download the instructions for a cash bond refund.
Failure to properly complete the items below will delay the processing and return of the cash bond. All cash bond refunds, less any applicable administrative fee, will normally be released within fifteen (15) business days.
Our office can provide a list of all funds resulting from cash bond deposits, condemnation, civil, and probate proceedings. If you would like a list, please submit an open records request to 210-335-2106.
Refund of a Cash Bond Process
Review the process of requesting a refund of a cash bond below by clicking on each tab. To ensure that your refund request can be completed in a timely manner, ensure that all information is provided completely and correctly.
If you have any questions regarding forms or process please contact the Bookkeeping Department of the Bexar County Clerk’s Office by phone or via email at [email protected] with the subject title, “Cash Bond Refund Request”.
The Bookkeeping Department can provide assistance for any of the following:
- You do not have your original cash bond receipt.
- You would like your cash bond refund mailed.
- You do not reside in Bexar County.
- You would like to assign your cash bond refund to someone else.
- You need an "Affidavit to Request Cash Bond”.
- There are errors on your cash bond receipt.
For information on all other registry refund checks, visit the "Withdrawing Court Registry Funds" page.
Cash Bond Receipt
Original Cash Bond Receipt
The original Cash Bond receipt is a white 4x7 inch receipt.
Missing Cash Bond Receipt
If you cannot locate your receipt, you will need an "Affidavit To Request Cash Bond Refund" to obtain a the refund.
Select the correct affidavit based on when the cash bond was executed:
- Affidavit to Request Cash Bond Refund (Cash Bonds executed before September 1, 2011)
- Affidavit to Request Cash Bond Refund (Cash Bonds executed after August 31, 2011)
For cash bonds executed before September 1, 2011 (prior to H.B. 1658), any cash funds deposited shall be receipted by the officer and be refunded to the defendant.
For cash bonds executed after August 31, 2011, the person designated to receive the refund must be the person who deposited the money with the Sheriff’s Office and whose name appears on the receipt provided by the Sheriff’s Office.
Order to Refund
Obtain Order to Refund Cash Deposit
Obtain the Order to Refund Cash Deposit that is signed by the County Court-at-Law Judge presiding over the case by visiting the court office.
- You will be visiting the court offices located behind the case assigned courtroom (e.g. CC#8). Visit the Bexar County Courts Portal for court contact information.
- Please ensure your court order does not contain any misspellings.
- If you do not reside in Bexar County and are processing your request via mail, please contact the Bookkeeping Department for assistance.
Submitting Request for Cash Bond Refund
Assign Refund to Another Person
To request the refund be assigned to someone else, complete the “Assignment of Cash Bond” form and submit it with your cash bond refund request.
Please refer to the Assignment of Cash Bond Instructions document for the process to assign your refund to someone else.
Documents to Submit
- Cash Bond Receipt OR a notarized Affidavit to Request Cash Bond based on execution date of bond
- Signed Order to Refund from the case-assigned court
- Notarized Assignment of Cash Bond if assigning refund to another person
Submit Signed Order to the County Clerk Bookkeeping Department
If you do not reside in Bexar County and are processing your request via mail, please contact the Bookkeeping department for assistance.
If you are requesting your refund to be mailed, an accurate mailing address is required on the affidavit you provide.
If your refund is to be picked up in person, an accurate telephone number is required along with your valid government issued identification upon pick up.
All pickups are made from the County Clerk’s Bookkeeping Department located in the Basement of the Bexar County Courthouse.
Receiving the Refund
After all requirements are met, all cash bond refunds, less any applicable administrative fee (required by Local Government Code § 117.054 and § 117.055), will normally be released within fifteen (15) business days in the form of a check from the Bexar County Clerk's Office.
To check on the status of a refund, contact the Bookkeeping Department with the details of your request, such as case number or payable name. A certified mail tracking number can be provided as well.