The following birth and death records may be obtained from the Bexar County Clerk’s Office - Vital Statistics Department:
- All births, including home births, in the unincorporated parts of Bexar County before 1967
- All births that occurred in the rural part of Bexar County before 1967
- All births that occurred in Wilford Hall Military Medical Center (formerly Lackland AF Hospital) before 1967
- Death records that took place at home in rural Bexar County between 1903-1967
- All delayed death records and court ordered delayed death records from 1903-present
- Births or Deaths that took place in a hospital during this period are available through the Office of the City Clerk of San Antonio. You may contact them at 210-207-7253.
Copies of Birth and Death Certificates may be purchased from the County Clerk by mail by filling out the "Request a Birth/Death Certificate" application, having it notarized, and mailing it to:
Bexar County Clerk, Attn: Vital Statistics Dept.
100 Dolorosa, Suite #104
San Antonio, Texas 78205
Birth/Death Records Not Held by the County Clerk
The following birth records can be obtained from the Office of the City Clerk’s Office – Vital Records Division, which is the local registrar:
- Hospital births and home births that occurred within the city limits
- All deaths in Bexar County before 1903
- Birth records from 1873
- Fetal death records from 1952.
Please visit the City Clerk’s website for more information.
Making Changes to a Birth Certificate
Most changes are done through the Texas Department of State Health Services:
Texas Dept of State Health Services
1100 W 49th Street
Austin, Texas 78756
512-458-7111 or 888-963-7111