Community Resources

Division Overview

The Community Resources Division of the Economic and Community Development department provides financial assistance for utility payments and administers the Pauper Burial program.

The Community Resources Division receives funding from the State to offer financial assistance to eligible County residents for electric and natural gas bills. This assistance is designed to prevent utility disconnection and to assist households in becoming self-sufficient.



Holiday Closure Notice: The offices for Utility Assistance and Pauper Burial will be closed Monday, January 20, 2020 for Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Important Notice:  Effective January 2020, we have closed out the 2019 year, and the 2019 applications are no longer valid or will be accepted. We are now accepting written, phone or, email requests for 2020 applications for utility assistance. Our phone lines will be open from 2:00pm to 5:00pm on Monday through Friday for all Utility Assistance inquiries.  If you are needing Pauper Burial information please contact the Pauper Burial Office at (210) 335-0757.

Notice regarding Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) Utility Assistance for Crisis: Our funding source, the Texas Department of Housing & Community Affairs (TDHCA) - CEAP Utility Assistance Program, has adopted new rules and regulations for FY2020. All rule changes are according to the TDHCA item 10 Texas Administrative Code (TAC) Chapter 6.310 rule and becomes effective January 1, 2020.  The program impacted is the Household Crisis Program(HCP).  The "Household Crisis" program was renamed to "Crisis Assistance" program (CAP).  To qualify and receive benefits under the Crisis Assistance Program (CAP) the following criteria are required: (1) Households must have lost service (disconnected) or be at risk of disconnection; and (2) Must meet one of three conditions: Extreme Weather Conditions; Disaster; or Life-threatening Crisis.  

Under the TDHCA - CEAP funding source, we have two programs funded: (1) Utility Assistance Program (UAP) and (2) Crisis Assistance Program (CAP).  If you would like more information regarding these program rule changes please visit the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program website at:

Utility assistance is offered to Bexar County residents that are income qualified with proof of U.S. Citizenship, identity and income for all household members. And, in addition to the TDHCA-CEAP two utility assistance programs (UAP & CAP) we also have the CPS Energy Residential Energy Assistance Partnership (REAP) program that is funded by CPS Energy. Please note to qualify for Bexar County REAP assistance applicants must reside outside City of San Antonio limits and within Bexar County and must be income qualified.

If you are in danger of disconnection, we recommend you contact CPS Energy at (210) 353-2222 to request an extension on your account or to make payment arrangements to avoid disconnection. For a listing of additional resources, please contact United Way by dialing 211.

View Our Assistance Programs:

  1. REAP - Energy Assistance
  2. CEAP - Energy Assistance
  3. Pauper Burial Assistance

REAP - Resident Energy Assistance Program

This program provides utility assistance to CPS Energy ratepayers to support the health of families and individuals experiencing a financial hardship. Priority is given to individuals who are elderly, disabled, or a household with children 16 years of age and younger or a ratepayer enrolled in CPS Energy’s Critical Care Program. 

In order to receive assistance the applicant must:

  • Be a CPS Energy customer
  • Reside in Bexar County outside the of San Antonio city limits 
  • Have income that does not exceed 125% of the Poverty Income Guideline (PDF) 

For additional assistance, please contact us at 210-335-3666 or email us

Mailing Address:

Bexar County Economic & Community Development Attn: Utility Assistance
233 N. Pecos, Suite 590
San Antonio, Texas 78207

Other Energy Resources:

  • Disconnection Notice: If you have received a red disconnection notice please call 210-335-3666 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please note, only a limited amount of appointments are given daily. 
  • Payment Arrangements: If you are in danger of being disconnected, please contact CPS Energy at 210-353-2222. You may be eligible for an extension and/or installment plan to avoid disconnection of services. 
  • Other Resources: United Way offers services free and confidential information for a variety of services, call 2-1-1 or 227-HELP