Get information on Permits

Business permits can vary greatly on location and industry, and it is important that you identify which permits your business requires. Businesses in construction or contracting fields as well as many professional services require permits or licenses, as well as businesses that sell food. If you are unsure you will require a permit or license, contact Bexar County or the municipality you are working in for more information.  Businesses located in unincorporated areas of Bexar County need to contact the Bexar County Public Works Department for all permits at (210) 335-6700 or at their offices located at 233 W. Pecos, suite 420. For all building inspections and additional permits, contact the Bexar County Fire Marshall at (210) 335-0300 or at their offices located at 622 Dolorosa St, Suite 420. 

The City of San Antonio Development Services Department (DSD) is a one-stop shop for permits, licenses, zoning, and certificates to operate a business within the city limits of San Antonio. Visit the DSD website, or visit their offices located at 1901 S. Alamo St.

Contractors, Electricians, Plumbers, sign contractors, mechanical contractors, and other professional services often require a license from the City of San Antonio within the city limits. The requirements and process for obtaining them can be found at DSD. 

Health inspections and food permits are required if you are operating a business that sells food, consumable items, care facilities, and other related entities. Visit the San Antonio Metropolitan Health District if your business is located in the San Antonio city limits or in unincorporated Bexar County. For businesses located in other municipalities, contact them directly for more information. 

Businesses located in surrounding Bexar County cities or municipalities need to contact their offices to obtain the proper permits.