Volunteer as a Deputy Registrar
Volunteer Deputy Registrars are entrusted with the responsibility of officially registering voters in the State of Texas. They are appointed by county voter registrars and charged with helping increase voter registration in the state.
A Volunteer Deputy Registrar may:
- Accept applications for voter registration from residents of Bexar County who are not already registered to vote.
- Accept change forms from registered voters who wish to change information on their voter registration certificates.
- Hand out applications for requesting replacements of missing voter registration certificates.
- Help an applicant fill out the registration application if the applicant cannot read or has a physical disability.
- A person must be at least 18 years old and never have been convicted of failing to deliver a voter application to a voter registrar.
- Effective January 1, 2005, a person must be a resident of Bexar County and
- Not have been finally convicted of a felony, or, if convicted, must have
- Fully discharged the sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or
- Been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote.
New standardized training curriculum has been developed by the Secretary of State as prescribed by the 82nd legislature. In accordance with House Bill 1570, the Bexar County Voter Registrar will schedule formal training classes (approximately 30 minutes long) to be immediately followed by deputation.
Please call 210-335-6625 for information regarding available training dates, times and location.
Length of Appointments
You may be appointed a deputy voter registrar at any time. However, your appointment as a deputy voter registrar automatically ends on the next December 31st of an even-numbered year or earlier if:
- You fail to deliver a completed voter registration application to the registrar
- If you fail to properly review a voter registration application.
If you use assistive technology (such as Braille reader, screen reader, or TTY) and the format of this presentation interferes with your ability to participate fully in this presentation, please contact the Elections Department at 210-335-VOTE (8683) or email [email protected] to request an accommodation. To enable us to respond in a manner most helpful to you, please indicate the nature of your accessibility problem, the preferred format in which to receive the material, and your contact information.
JACQUELYN F. CALLANEN
1103 S. Frio, Ste. 100
San Antonio, TX 78207
Phone: 210-335-VOTE (8683)
FAX: 210-335-0371 (Elections)