TDHCA Tax Credit Information
TDHCA Housing Tax Credit Project Application for Resolution of Support
Bexar County CDH Division invites interested and eligible parties to submit applications for Resolutions of Local Support regarding Tax Credit Projects. Annually, the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) awards Tax credits to eligible participants to offset a portion of their federal tax liability in exchange for the production or preservation of affordable rental housing. There are two types of Tax Credits: Competitive (9%) and Non-Competitive (4%). The below information corresponds to the 9% Housing Tax Credit round, which is highly competitive and awarded based on a Regional Allocation Formula (RAF) with additional set asides for developments at risk of losing affordability and subsidy, developments financed through USDA, and those with nonprofit owners. Applications are scored and ranked within their region or set-aside and in accordance with rules and laws outlined in the Qualified Allocation Plan (QAP). For more information on TDHCA’s Competitive Tax Credit process and current application cycle visit http://tdhca.state.tx.us/multifamily/housing-tax-credits-9pct/index.htm
As part of TDHCA’s Tax Credit Application process, eligible applicants may seek local government support to qualify for additional application points. Additional information on the scoring process may be found at TDHCA’s Multifamily NOFA and Rules page located at http://tdhca.state.tx.us/multifamily/nofas-rules.htm
Bexar County, through its Department of Community Resources, has formulated a policy that establishes the process to be followed by developers who request Resolutions of Support for proposed Housing Tax Credit projects to be located in Bexar County's Jurisdiction.
All requests for Resolutions of Support and all required documentation indicated on the application for resolution must be submitted to the Director of Bexar County Department of Community Resources no later than January 29, 2016.
Bexar County’s review will be based on these factors including but not limited to:
• Location of the project
• Number of proposed housing units
• Number of units restricted for low income, market rate etc.
• The target population to be served by the proposed development
• Consistency with Bexar County Action Plan and Consolidated Plan which can be found at http://www.bexar.org/497/Reports
• Percentage and dollar amount of the property value scheduled to be off the property tax rolls
• Total number of years the property value will be off the tax rolls
• Project Sponsor/Developer’s outreach activities and level of community support for the project from neighborhood organizations, homeowner’s associations, school districts and other stakeholders
• Additional services or resources the proposed development will offer to project residents such as an on-site learning center or transportation services
• The number of existing affordable housing units in the project area
• Overall design and construction attributes
Requests will be reviewed and forwarded to members of Commissioners Court for their consideration at Commissioners Court on February 23, 2016. The Department of Community Resources will coordinate Commissioners Court agenda items for approval of all resolution requests.
Click on the following link for Bexar County's Tax Credit Project Application for Resolution of Support, important process dates, and contact information: Bexar County's Tax Credit Project Application for Resolution of Support
Questions regarding the application process should be directed to Alma R. Perez, CDH Manager at 210-335-6648 or [email protected].