Question & Answer

What do I do if I find a kitten?
Leave the kitten where you found it. The mother will come back for the kitten.  
What if I can’t provide for my cat or dog anymore and need to surrender them?
Owner surrenders will only be accepted based on available space and are $150 per animal. The owner of the animal would need to come to our office to submit an application, fill out the form and pay the fee before the animal(s) are picked up.
What can I do about all the cats in my area?
Cats do not have leash laws or containment conditions like dogs do. They are allowed to free roam. Animal Control does have a TNR program; however, since cats can live on their own and are generally not threat to public health and safety, the TNR program is only done when space allows. If the public would like to help the community with the cat population in their area, they can work with San Antonio Feral Cat Coalition.
What do I do if I have been bitten by an animal?
Exchange contact information with the animal owner (if there is one). Seek medical attention for the bite immediately. Contact Bexar County Animal Control (210) 335-9000. If you decide not to seek medical treatment for the bite you can fill out an Animal Control Bite Statement.
What animals have to be licensed in Bexar County?
Residents in unincorporated Bexar County do not have to register their animals at this time. 
What should I do if my pet is lost?
Contact Bexar County Animal Control to see if we have had any pickups or calls on animals in your area. Look at ACS website to see if the animal is in that shelter.

Bexar County Animal Control

  1. Main: 210-335-9000
    Fax: 210-335-6713

    Email: [email protected]

    Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    If there is an emergency or to report a bite after hours,
    please contact the Sheriff's Office at 210-335-6000, option 1