Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  1. FAQ
  2. How To Order Records
  3. How To Create An eBenefits Account

1. How Can I order my DD-214, Service Medical Records, and/or Original Military Personnel File/Service Record (OMPF)?

Answer - To order any of these documents, free and mailed directly to the address you provide, visit the following site:

              National Archives Online Veterans Records Request
              For a detailed step by step process on how to order records online click on the How to Order Records tab above. 
              For additional questions please call the National Personnel Records Center at (314) 801-0800.

2. What documents do I need if I am making a first time claim? 

Answer - You will need the following documents:

              - Marriage Certificate
              - Birth Certificate
              - Spouse and/or Dependents Social Security Number
              - Spouse's Date of Birth
              - The amount of support you pay for each child (If the dependents are not living with you)
              - Any medical records from a private physician or the names, addresses, and phone numbers of private physicians that are treating you                                     for claimable conditions.
              - The name of your financial institution, checking or savings account number, and routing number

3. What if I already have a service connected disability and I want to add another condition? What if I want to increase a rating?

Answer - If you have never been to our office before you will need to bring your DD-214 and your last rating decision letter.

4. What other offices can assist with my claim?

Answer - The Texas Veterans Commission (the state Veterans agency) can assist you at the following locations:

               - Frank Tejeda VA Outpatient Clinic
                 5788 Eckhert Road (2nd Floor)
                 San Antonio, TX 78240
                 Phone: (210) 699-5076 Walk In's Only

               - Audie Murphy VA Hospital
                 7400 Merton Minter Blvd
                 Building 4, Room 107
                 San Antonio, Texas 78229
                 Phone: (210) 617-5175 Walk In's Only

               - Fort Sam Houston
                 2263 Stanley Road
                 B100A (Basement)
                 San Antonio, TX 78234
                 Phone: (210) 221-2044 Appointments Only

               - Wilford Hall VA Outpatient Clinic
                 2200 Bergquist Drive
                 Suite 1, 1st Floor, Room 1P08
                 San Antonio (Lackland AFB), TX 78236
                 Phone: (210) 292-7401 Appointments Only  

5. How do I check the status of my claim?

Answer -  There are three ways you can check the status of your claim or appeal"

               - Call the VA toll free number at 1-800-827-1000
               - Register for an eBenefits account at
               - Email the VA at

6. How do I apply for VA Healthcare?

Answer - To apply for VA healthcare you can complete a VA Form 10-10EZ online at

               You can also apply in person at:

               Audie Murphy VA Hospital
               Enrollment and Eligibility Department
               7400 Merton Minter Road
               San Antonio, TX 78229
               Phone: (210) 617-5300 ext. 16318


               Frank Tejeda VA Outpatient Clinic
               5788 Eckhert Road (1st Floor, Eligibility Office)
               San Antonio, TX 78240
               Phone: (210) 699-2100   

7. How can I apply for a VA Home Loan?

Answer - To apply for a VA Home Loan you must complete a VA form 26-1880. Attach a copy of your DD-214 and mail both forms to the following                                address:

               Atlanta Regional Loan Center
               ATTN: COE (282)
               P.O. Box 100034
               Decatur, GA 30031

               For more information on VA Home Loans please call the Houston Regional Office Loan Guaranty Office at 1-888-232-2571.