To vote in Texas, you must be registered. Simply pick up a voter registration application, fill it out, and mail it at least 30 days before the election date.
Learn how to update your registration information in the event of a name or address change.
Get a replacement voter registration card.
You may confirm your voter registration status online by submitting your date of birth and house number.
- Your voter registration will become effective 30 days after it is received or on your 18th birthday whichever is later.
- If you move to another county, you must re-register in the county of your new residence.
- When you go to the polls to vote, present your certificate as proof of registration.
- You may vote without your certificate by signing an affidavit at the polling place and showing some other form of identification.
- If you lose your certificate, notify this office in writing to receive a new one.
- You will automatically receive a new certificate every 2 years if you haven’t moved from the address at which you are registered.
You are eligible to vote if:
- You are a United States citizen
- You are legally registered to vote in Texas
- You are at least 18 years old on Election Day
- You are not a convicted felon (you may be eligible to vote if you have completed your sentence, probation, and parole)
- You have not been declared by a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be either totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote
Your voter application asks for 1 of 3 identification numbers. If you have not received any of these, you are still eligible to register to vote, but you will be required to provide proof of your identity at the polling place. Review a list of acceptable identification items.
1st Time Voters
If you are registering for the 1st time by mail, you must provide valid identification that shows your name and address. If you do not provide identification at the time of registration, you will receive a letter requesting proof of identity. Otherwise, you will be required to present such identification when you vote, either in person or by mail.
JACQUELYN F. CALLANEN
1103 S. Frio, Ste. 100
San Antonio, TX 78207
Phone: 210-335-VOTE (8683)
FAX: 210-335-0371 (Elections)