Bexar County Department of Human Resources
Civil Service Commission Rules and Regulations
Sensitive and Excluded Positions
Policy Number: 7.6.04
Effective Date: March 16, 2007
Revised: Adopted May 24, 2012
Effective June 8, 2012
An office or department may seek to declare a position sensitive and then have the position excluded from civil service coverage. This requires the following two-step process:
- Commissioners Court and the County Manager may declare a position sensitive. Therefore, the office or department must first provide to Commissioners Court or to the County Manager a request to designate a position sensitive along with supporting written justification based on the applicable criteria as outlined below.
- If approved by Commissioners Court or the County Manager, the office or department must then present their request to the Commission for approval to exclude the sensitive position from civil service coverage, citing the applicable criteria as outlined below.
Criteria for Declaring a Position Sensitive
Commissioners Court1 has adopted the following criteria for considering whether a position should be declared sensitive:
- The position reports directly to a board, elected or appointed official, or department head.
- The position acts autonomously and operates on a regular basis with a minimum of supervision, based on direction from a board, elected or appointed official, or department head.
- The position is responsible for a division within a department or a department within an office.
- Discretion in decision-making is vital on a regular and constant basis.
- The board, elected/appointed official or department head holds this position to a higher level of trust and confidentiality because of the involvement in various aspects of their administration, including but not limited to: policy development and implementation, delivery of service to the citizens of Bexar County or long range vision and planning.
Positions Typically Qualified To Be Excluded From Civil Service
The Commission has typically identified Executive and Manager Positions with the following job duties to be excluded:
- Reports directly to elected or appointed official(s) or a board.
- May lead an office or department with multiple divisions.
- Develops strategies and long range plans.
- Sets policies and administers resources.
- Executives in Bexar County who assist elected or appointed officials in shaping the County’s vision and mission.
- Executives who are responsible to the elected or appointed official for carrying out the office or department’s overall strategic vision and mission.
- Reports to an Executive, not in an administrative capacity.
- Responsible for a division or a department within an office.
- Discretion in decision making.
- High level of resources responsibility.
- Managers in Bexar County reporting directly to the executive and responsible for developing and implementing specific programs consistent with County and departmental strategies.
- Managers whose responsibility is to ensure that operations are consistent with the strategic direction of the County and the office or department.
1 The Criteria for Declaring a Position sensitive and excluded from Civil Service was adopted by the Bexar County Civil Service Commission on April 30, 2001 and by Commissioners Court on January 29, 2002.