A. J. Ploch
1947 - 1977

Anton Joseph PlochAnton Joseph Ploch was born March 13, 1905 in San Antonio, Texas, and died April 22, 1985 in San Antonio, Texas. He married Emily Anna Tudyk on August 29, 1926 in St. Hedwig, Texas.

A. J. Ploch served as a long time County Commissioner and later served as Bexar County Judge. Commanche Park in San Antonio was re-named to A. J. Ploch Park.

Anton Joseph (A.J.) Ploch served the citizens of Bexar County from January 1, 1947 to 1977 as County Commissioner, Precinct 4. His 30 plus years of service is a record as yet unexceeded in all of Bexar County history, since Bexar County began electing County Commissioners in 1845, some 158 years ago. He also served as Bexar County Judge from September 20, 1978 to November 1978.

On April 22, 1985, at the age of 80 years, A.J. Ploch passed away, leaving behind his wife of 58 years, Emily Anna Tudyk, his 4 daughters; Virginia Agnes Gracely, Vivian Gladys Tumlty, Geraldine Nell “Jerri” Puckett, and Eileen Antonette Cunoy, their spouses, his grandchildren, and his great-grandchildren, along with many family and friends who loved him.

A.J. Ploch, having been a professional calf-roper, saw a need in South Texas to provide a venue for the promotion of rodeos and stock shows. He joined Joe and Harry Freeman in 1944 and 1945 to promote a plan to build the Coliseum and was a driving force in the building of what is now the Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum, which was completed in 1949.

A.J. Ploch was a dedicated Director and Life Member of the San Antonio Livestock Exposition and served as founder and trailboss of the Alamo Trail Ride. He went on to be named Chairman of twelve trail rides which, in their annual treks to San Antonio, kicked off the Stock Show and Rodeo.

The San Antonio Livestock Exposition inducted the late Judge A.J. Ploch into its prestigious Hall of Fame on January 9, 2003.

<< Return to Precinct 4 Commissioners