County Attorneys

While the sindico of the Spanish and Mexican Municipality seems to have performed the functions of a County Attorney, no constitutional provision was made for a similar official after Texas Independence until 1866.

Under the Constitutions of 1866 and 1869, a County Attorney was appointed by the County Board for a one-year term. With the adoption of the Constitution of 1876, the office became elective and the term was changed to 2 years terms.

The main duties of the County Attorney were to represent the state in the Justice of the Peace and the County Courts, defends suits in which the County is interested, and serve as legal advisor to County and Precinct officials.

S. G. Newton

January 1867

J. N. Everitt

Appointed by Col J. J. Reynolds

M. G. Anderson

February 15, 1876

Fred Cocke

November 3, 1878

1878-1883

(Name Not Legible)

November 4, 1884

Entry made “Qualified”, 12/17/1894

Otho Staffel

December 2, 1886

1886-1888

Bart J. Dewitt

November 2, 1888

1888-1900

P. H. Shook

November4, 1900

1900-1906

Tom J. Newton

November 4, 1906

1906-1912

Dan Lewis

1912

1912-1916

Tom J. Newton

1916

1916-1930

D. F. Davis

1930

1930-1934

1932

Abolished

The Handbook of Texas. After term of D. F. Davis, the offices of the District and County Attorney were combined; Editors note: the office of County attorney was abolished in 1932.