The Hidalgo Foundation – in collaboration with the Bexar County Commissioners Court – has created the first ever countywide library system that is entirely bookless and electronic. The name of the public library is BiblioTech – a play on the Spanish word for library – biblioteca. Through BiblioTech, the community has access to more than 15,000 current titles and classics free of charge. For those whose access to technology is limited, an e-reader can be checked out at BiblioTech. E-reader owners can access BiblioTech’s library collection remotely with a virtual library card.
BiblioTech serves as a public source of computing equipment, electronic devices, study spaces and meeting rooms in an internet café type setting. At BiblioTech, patrons are able to:
- Read an e-book
- Use a desktop, laptop, or tablet computer
- Learn a new computer program
- Explore the internet
- Listen to an audio book, watch a video, or learn a foreign language
- Work on a school project or resume
- Attend lectures and workshops
- Bring their children who can learn through play on the “Little Tykes Kid Smart Computers” and interactive tables equipped with educational software
BiblioTech opened on September 14, 2013 in coordination with the beginning of the school year for the neighborhood children.
BiblioTech would not be possible without the support of private donors. Thank you for supporting this innovative County service.
- 80/20 Foundation
- Betty Bueche
- Henry R. Muñoz III/Muñoz & Company
- HNTB Engineering
- Joeris General Contractors
- Law Offices of Pat Maloney, P.C.
- Linebarger Goggan Blair & Sampson, LLP
- Meadows Foundation
- Myra Stafford Pryor Charitable Trust
- NuStar Energy
- Pape-Dawson Engineers, Inc.
- Raba Kistner, Inc.
- Spurs Sports & Entertainment
- The Greehey Family Foundation
- The Harvey E. Najim Family Foundation
- The Leo Quintanilla Family
- The USAA Foundation
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas, Inc.
- V.H. McNutt Memorial Foundation
- Zachry Corporation
Visit BiblioTech at 3505 Pleasanton Road, San Antonio, Texas 78221 and at www. bexarbibliotech.org.