Press Release

Two SAPD Sergeants Indicted

Bexar County District Attorney Susan D. Reed announced today that a Bexar County grand jury returned an indictment against former San Antonio Police Sergeant Joseph Myers, age 52, for Tampering with Evidence and Misapplication of Funds by a Fiduciary. The grand jury also returned an indictment against San Antonio Police Sergeant Ramiro Garcia, 52, for Tampering with Evidence.

These charges arise from the events of February 2nd, 2012 during which SAPD officers were dispatched to 755 East Mulberry for an individual, later identified as SAPD Sgt. Joseph Myers, causing a disturbance. Sgt. Ramiro Garcia was one of the officers that responded to the scene. While at the scene, SAPD personnel located a Ford F-150 pickup truck owned by the City of San Antonio and assigned to Joseph Myers on northbound Highway 281, between Josephine and Mulberry Streets. The pickup truck had collided with the outside barrier of said highway and was not operational.

As part of the administrative investigation SAPD personnel directed the transport of Sgt. Myers to a medical clinic to obtain a urine sample. It is alleged that Sgt. Myers disconnected a toilet’s feeder hose and used the water to dilute his urine sample. The administrative and criminal investigation that ensued additionally led to the discovery of missing funds from a cash reserve controlled by Sgt. Myers used to pay confidential informants and conduct narcotic buys. The criminal investigation revealed that in an effort to account for missing funds allegedly in excess of $7,000 Myers allegedly used forged “IOU”s to balance the cash drawer.

The Grand Jury returned an indictment against Sgt. Garcia for Tampering with Evidence for allegedly removing evidence from the city owned Ford F-150 pickup truck.

Sgt. Myers retired from the police force after his arrest. Sgt. Garcia received a 15 day suspension for his involvement and is still employed by the San Antonio Police Department. The San Antonio Police Department filed cases against another police officer who was later cleared of any wrongdoing as the investigation revealed he was acting under orders from superiors and believed he was following procedures. The police department also filed Tampering with Evidence charges against Lt. Steven Velasquez, 42, who was the on scene incident commander. The Grand Jury declined to issue an indictment against Lt. Velasquez. He did receive a 45 day suspension from the police department as an administrative punishment.

Tampering with Evidence is a third degree felony punishable by confinement of up to 10 years in prison and up to a $10,000.00 fine. Misappropriation of Funds by a Fiduciary $15,000 to $20,000 is a State Jail Felony punishable by confinement from 180 days to 2 years in a State Jail facility and up to a $10,000 fine.

For more information contact Cliff Herberg, First Assistant District Attorney, at (210)335-2342.