Direct Client Services
The Direct Client Services Division of the Department of Community Development provides financial assistance for utility payments and administers the Pauper Burial program.
The Direct Client Services Division receives funding from the State to offer financial assistance to eligible County residents for electric and natural gas bills. This assistance is designed to prevent utility disconnection and to assist households in becoming self-sufficient.
Energy Assistance - CEAP
In order to receive assistance through Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) the applicant must:
- Reside in Bexar County
- Have income that does not exceed 150% of the Poverty Income Guideline set by the Federal Government
- Be a U.S citizen, qualified alien or of verified legal immigration status
Proof of Eligibility:
The following documents must be provided to determine eligibility:
- U.S Passport or Certificate of U.S Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization
If you can not provide those documents then you would need the following:
- Valid state issued Driver License or state issued Identification Card and
- Birth Certificate or
- Valid Voter Registration ID Card
For a listing of acceptable documents, please see the resource section located on this page.
Priority for utility assistance is given to low-income households:
- Elderly (60 years or older)
- Families with children 5 years of age or younger
Received a Disconnection Notice?
If you have received a red disconnection notice please call 210-335-3666 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please note, only a limited amount of appointments are given daily.
In Danger of Losing Power?
If you are in danger of being disconnected, please contact CPS Energy at 210-353-2222. For payment arrangements call 210-353-2222. You may be eligible for an extension and/or installment plan to avoid disconnection of services.
You may contact United Way at 211 for agencies that may have funding in your area.
Energy Assistance - REAP
In order to receive assistance the applicant must:
- Be a CPS Energy customer
- Reside outside the of San Antonio city limits
- Have income that does not exceed 125% of the Poverty Income Guideline
- Reside in any of the following counties: Atascosa, Bandera, Bexar,Comal, Guadalupe, Kendall, Medina or Wilson.
Pauper Burial Program
Pauper Burial is a program that assists indigent families with a proper burial when they have no other means to bury their loved one. Individuals that may qualify for assistance are:
- Deceased individual living in Bexar County 30 days prior to death.
- Having died of natural causes
- With no life insurance
- Without a pre-need with a funeral home
- Without having purchased a cemetery plot
- If you need additional information regarding Pauper Burial Assistance please call 210-335-0757.