Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. How Can I order my DD-214, Service Medical Records, and/or Original Military Personnel File/Service Record (OMPF)?
Answer - To order any of these documents, free and mailed directly to the address you provide, visit the following site:
National Archives Online Veterans Records Request
For a detailed step by step process on how to order records online click on the How to Order Records tab above.
For additional questions please call the National Personnel Records Center at (314) 801-0800.
2. What documents do I need if I am making a first time claim?
Answer - You will need the following documents:
- Marriage Certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Spouse and/or Dependents Social Security Number
- Spouse's Date of Birth
- The amount of support you pay for each child (If the dependents are not living with you)
- Any medical records from a private physician or the names, addresses, and phone numbers of private physicians that are treating you for claimable conditions.
- The name of your financial institution, checking or savings account number, and routing number
3. What if I already have a service connected disability and I want to add another condition? What if I want to increase a rating?
Answer - If you have never been to our office before you will need to bring your DD-214 and your last rating decision letter.
4. What other offices can assist with my claim?
Answer - The Texas Veterans Commission (the state Veterans agency) can assist you at the following locations:
- Frank Tejeda VA Outpatient Clinic
5788 Eckhert Road (2nd Floor)
San Antonio, TX 78240
Phone: (210) 699-5076 Walk In's Only
- Audie Murphy VA Hospital
7400 Merton Minter Blvd
Building 4, Room 107
San Antonio, Texas 78229
Phone: (210) 617-5175 Walk In's Only
- Fort Sam Houston
2263 Stanley Road
San Antonio, TX 78234
Phone: (210) 221-2044 Appointments Only
- Wilford Hall VA Outpatient Clinic
2200 Bergquist Drive
Suite 1, 1st Floor, Room 1P08
San Antonio (Lackland AFB), TX 78236
Phone: (210) 292-7401 Appointments Only
5. How do I check the status of my claim?
Answer - There are three ways you can check the status of your claim or appeal"
- Call the VA toll free number at 1-800-827-1000
- Register for an eBenefits account at http://www.ebenefits.va.gov/
- Email the VA at https://iris.custhelp.com/
6. How do I apply for VA Healthcare?
Answer - To apply for VA healthcare you can complete a VA Form 10-10EZ online at https://www.1010ez.med.va.gov/
You can also apply in person at:
Audie Murphy VA Hospital
Enrollment and Eligibility Department
7400 Merton Minter Road
San Antonio, TX 78229
Phone: (210) 617-5300 ext. 16318
Frank Tejeda VA Outpatient Clinic
5788 Eckhert Road (1st Floor, Eligibility Office)
San Antonio, TX 78240
Phone: (210) 699-2100
7. How can I apply for a VA Home Loan?
Answer - To apply for a VA Home Loan you must complete a VA form 26-1880. Attach a copy of your DD-214 and mail both forms to the following address:
Atlanta Regional Loan Center
ATTN: COE (282)
P.O. Box 100034
Decatur, GA 30031
For more information on VA Home Loans please call the Houston Regional Office Loan Guaranty Office at 1-888-232-2571.